Many of us have stayed late at work to finish a timely project or meet a tight deadline, but not many would be willing to work unpaid hours every day. Or would we?
The countries that work the highest number of extra work hours every month has been revealed in a study by MAXIS Global Benefits Network.
The US and Hong Kong followed close behind at an average of 23.2 hours while France came in with 22.4 hours.
“There are a number of factors that impact workplace culture, from the physical environment of the office to the benefits and corporate wellness programs offered by the employer,” – Dr Leena Johns
While the January 2019 study only analysed a small portion of 1,000 workers across 10 global markets, the figures emphasise a growing company culture of employees feeling like they should be seen at their desks.
Depression and anxiety disorders cost the global economy US$1 trillion every year in lost productivity, WHO has found. However, for every US$1 invested into common mental disorder treatments, there is a return of US$4 in improved health and productivity.
“A strong workplace culture can help motivate employees and deliver improved financial performance, with a measurable increase in revenue,” MAXIS Global Benefits Network Head of Health & Wellness Dr Leena Johns says. “There are a number of factors that impact workplace culture, from the physical environment of the office to the benefits and corporate wellness programs offered by the employer, all of which have the potential to foster a healthier and more productive workforce.”
10 countries that work the most overtime, according to MAXIS Global Benefits Network
- UAE – average of 24 hours per month
- US – average of 23.2 hours per month
- Hong Kong SAR – average of 23.2 hours per month
- France – average of 22.4 hours per month
- India – average of 21.2 hours per month
- Russia – average of 21.2 hours per month
- Brazil – average of 18 hours per month
- UK – average of 17.2 hours per month
- Mexico – average of 16 hours per month
- South Africa – average of 14.8 hours per month